Came across an interesting tool called VNCon that gives VNC some lab management functionality.
Here is a list of the main features included with VNCon:
- Computer Switching: Cycles through the list monitoring activity, and allowing you to take control or send a message at the touch of a button
- Password Support : You can specify a default or a specific password for each connection
- Grouping Support: Allows you to group sets of computer for easier management
- Multiple Views: Allows multiple computers to be monitored on-screen at once
- Remote Installation: Eases deployment of VNC to remote computers running Windows
- Remote Messaging: Sends messages to other computers running Windows NT/2K/XP
- Network and IP Scan : Scans the connected windows networks or IP address range for all connected computers
- UserName Scan: Determines the current user logged onto the remote computer
It doesn’t look as beefy as commercial offerings like ARD or Vision 5, but it’s free, and open source, which is nice.